This week is when the Steering Committee will make their decision on Upton’s future. They will decide if they want to promote a bailout loving, free market hating, light bulb regulating, career politician to serve as Chairman of the very important House Energy & Commerce Committee.
Here is a little bit of background on Upton:
* Upton was one of only 16 GOPers who supported in 2009 House Speaker Nancy Pelosi’s omnibus spending bill that increased spending 8.4 percent on top of the $787 billion stimulus program.
* Upton was one of nine GOPers who opposed in 2009 an amendment by Rep. Dave Camp, R-Mich., that would have substituted an array of tax cuts and credits for the Obama-Pelosi-Reid stimulus program.
* Upton was one of 43 GOPers who opposed in 2009 a Republican amendment to cut the Democrats’ stimulus bill by $355 billion.
* Upton was one of 20 GOPers who opposed in 2009 a Republican amendment to cut Environmental Protection Agency funding to its 2008 level.
* Upton was one of 34 GOPers who voted in 2009 for the Omnibus Public Lands Management Act that removed millions of acres of federal lands from energy exploration and production.
* Upton was one of 19 GOPers who voted in 2009 for a Democratic amendment directing the secretary of education to establish an advisory council for “high-performing” green public schools, thus further entrenching environmental radicals in the public education system.
* Upton was one of 29 GOPers who voted for the Democrats’ bill establishing the Santa Cruz National Heritage area along the U.S./Mexican border, which effectively prevents the U.S. Border Patrol from doing its work along the border.
* Upton was one of 26 GOPers who voted in 2009 for significantly increased funding for AmeriCorps.
* Upton voted for the Bush $700 billion Wall Street bailout twice in 2008.
* Upton voted for the Obama revision of the Bush bailout in 2009.
* Upton was one of 40 GOPers who voted in 2009 for the Democrats; doubling of the State Children’s Health Insurance Program’s budget.
* Upton was one of more than 40 GOPers who voted in 2007 and 2008 to override President Bush’s veto of spending increases for SCHIP.
* Upton was one of 35 GOPers who voted in 2008 for Rep. Charlie Rangel’s bill raising taxes on energy companies to provide tax subsidies for renewable energy special interests.
* Upton was one of 26 GOPers who voted in 2007 for federally mandated incandescent light bulbs.
* Upton was one of three GOPers who voted in 2005 against extending the Bush capital gains tax cut.
So it’s time to start contacting the Steering Committee Members. Contact info below:
|Eric Cantor||Republican Leader||202-225-2815|
|Kevin McCarthy||Republican Whip||202-225-2915|
|Jeb Hensarling||Republican Conference Chair||202-225-3484|
|Tom Price||Policy Chair||202-225-4501|
|Cathy McMorris-Rodgers||Conference Vice-Chair||202-225-2006|
|John Carter||Conference Secretary||202-225-3864|
|Pete Sessions||NRCC Chairman||202-225-2231|
|Greg Walden||Leadership Chairman||202-225-6730|
|Tom Cole||NRCC Chairman (last Congress)||202-225-6165|
|Lamar Smith||Texas Representative||202-225-4236|
|Ken Calvert||California Representative||202-225-1986|
|Jeff Miller||Florida Representative||202-225-3414|
|Doc Hastings||Region I Representative||202-225-5816|
|Tom Latham||Region II Representative||202-225-5476|
|John Shimkus||Region III Representative||202-225-5271|
|Mike Rogers||Region IV Representative||202-225-4872|
|Bill Shuster||Region V Representative||202-225-2431|
|Steve LaTourette||Region VI Representative||202-225-5731|
|Hal Rogers||Region VII Representative||202-225-4601|
|Lynn Westmoreland||Region VIII Representative||202-225-5901|
|Bob Goodlatte||Region IX Representative||202-225-5431|
|Cynthia Lummis||Small State Representative||202-225-2311|
|Gregg Harper||111th Class Representative||202-225 5031|
|Todd Rokita||112th Class Representative||317-268-4964|
|Joe Heck||112th Class Representative||702-614-5900|
|Pat Meehan||112th Class Representative||484-454-3203|